LL.M. Admissions Overview
Washington University School of Law seeks students whose academic abilities meet the rigorous demands of our top-ranked program.
Applications are now being accepted for the following start dates. You are encouraged to submit your completed application as soon as possible. Applications are reviewed as they are completed, and admissions decisions will be made on a rolling basis.
The @WashULaw LL.M. Program offers foreign-trained lawyers the ability to begin their course of study during one of four start times per year (January, April, July and October), starting with our first cohort in January, 2013. We will be happy to help you complete the application process in time for your desired start date. If you have any questions, please contact us by phone at 877-WashULW or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Program Start Date||Application Deadline|
|July 1, 2013||April 30, 2013|
|September 30, 2013||July 31, 2013|
Complete Application Requirements: The following information must be on file in order for your application to be considered complete:
- Submitted online application;
- Application fee payment or waiver;
- If applicable, English proficiency test score;
- Two letters of recommendation;
- Official transcripts from all educational institutions attended; and
- Personal interview.
There are two essay questions on the application that will be used to evaluate your written communication skills. The essays should be no more than two double-spaced pages. The two essays should:
- Identify the subject areas in which you would like to direct your legal studies, stating the specific courses that interest you and why you are pursuing those subjects. Include any prior training or education you have in these areas.
- Tell us about past experiences that have been important in your decision to pursue an LL.M. degree, your career plans following your graduate studies and how an LL.M. degree from Washington University School of Law will advance your professional goals.
Letters Of Recommendation
You must submit two professional or academic recommendations with your application.
For applicants whose native language is not English, TOEFL, IELTS, or TOEIC scores must be submitted. The TOEFL code for Washington University School of Law 6929-03. Applicants do not need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score if either:
- They earned an undergraduate or graduate degree at a U.S. college or university;
- Their total education was conducted in a country where English is the native language.
An interview is required for admission into the LL.M. Program @WashULaw. After we receive your application, we will contact you to set up a personal interview. Interviews will be conducted in English via video conference using a basic webcam, which is integrated into most laptop computers. We will invite you to participate in the interview after we have received transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate coursework.
The application fee for the LL.M. program is $70, and it is non-refundable. Candidates who qualify for an application-fee waiver must send a formal request to their admissions counselor along with supporting documentation before submitting the application. A refund cannot be issued for an application fee already paid.
The application is available here.