The Difference Between an LL.M. and a J.D.
What is an LL.M.?
Skills Gained With an LL.M.
- Analyzing laws and regulations in a specific area/field of law
- Resolving conflict between two parties
- Conveying complex legal concepts to clients
- Advocating on behalf of clients
Career Paths With an LL.M.
- Practicing law in the United States
- Practicing law in a specialized area (international business, intellectual property, tax, etc.)
- Consulting for international corporations
- Working at international firms
What is a J.D.?
Skills Gained With a J.D.
- Civil procedure
- Criminal law
- Constitutional law
- Contracts and property law
- Legal writing
- Tort law
Career Paths With a J.D.
- Patent attorney
- Compliance attorney
- Immigration attorney
- Real estate lawyer
- Legal consultant